What's the problem with running in German with fr_ca formatting locale? Basically if you're entering dates you want to let the user enter them in the way they are used to, if the help can support it. If I'm German and go to an English page, I think I would be quite happy if I could enter the date, numbers, etc in the way I'm used to.

I guess I think the reason locale was put on converters was to let users format data in the way they are used to, even if the language/country is different.

Thanks,

Gab

Simon Lessard wrote:

It's true that en_US and en_GB can cause a problem. However this will hold
true only if the language is the same. So, if we implements that maybe we
can limit the valid formatting locales to those sharing the same language
and only switch the country? That way it will be impossible to get in a
state of German translation with fr_ca formatting.

On 10/25/06, Gabrielle Crawford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Simon Lessard wrote:

> I'm so divided on this issue that I think I'll call a +0 on my side.
> When I
> go on a site in English, I expect the date to be formatted
> accordingly. On

I couldn't tell from the comment what you meant exactly. It may be
obvious when you switch languages, but you may not switch languages. If
I'm in the UK running in English I will expect UK date formatting, which
I think means day-month-year, and not month-day-year. I think it's
pretty subtle that you're actually running in en-us and not en-gb, I
don't expect the user to know that.

> the other hand, some user are... well... hmmm... not so comfortable with
> computers and could completely ignore that date can even appear in
> more than
> one format. Anyway, whatever decision is taken, I agree with Martin that
> we'll need to indicate it clearly.

So I suggested we use a config param, the default is 1, but you can 'buy
in' and set it to 2. What do people think of that?

Thanks,

Gab

> Regards,
>
> ~ Simon
>
> On 10/25/06, Martin Marinschek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> I believe that #1 is what we should do. If you do #2, then the locale
>> will be changed away from what the view-root offers (and which might
>> be derived from the accept-header of the request, so you have the
>> possibility to implement #2) somehow "automagically" - without the
>> developer really knowing.
>>
>> - First (that's the same issue as you had) - existing applications
>> behave differently.
>> - Second - also as a user, I'm expecting US-date format when I'm
>> looking at an application I18nized in en-US. If you give me German
>> date formats, you'll need to indicate this clearly, and that's
>> something a developer has to do manually and consciously (except
>> Trinidad has some automatic way of indicating date, time and
>> number-format to the user). So as a German-speaking user, this is not
>> the way I'd want the application to behave automatically.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Martin

>> API.

>> underneath the
>> would be
>> >

>> > That's a very good point. If they only have US translations,  the
help
>> > uses US formatting, now we come along and actually use UK
>> formatting, so
>> > the help is wrong.
>> >
>> > That does seem like a major problem for #2. Could we have a config
>> > setting to switch on #2, because I think #2 is very useful, but maybe >> > they need to buy in, it's still a much less painful buy in than they
>> > have now with the converter 'locale' attribute....
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Gab

>> dates

>> behavior: