-1.  Text can be just as much a part of a skin as visual
images are.   For example, if you define a skin that
adds an icon, I think you should define the alternate
text for that icon in the same artifact - the skin.

It's artificial to my taste to decide that all translatable
text are messages, and that MessageBundle should be
used to customize every last bit of text.

FWIW, I'm never a big fan of "Windows designed
it such a way, so let's do it the same way", etc...  too
often, software is designed badly.  I saw many
Java libraries follow the poor example of JSTL and
Struts and add "bundle" and "key" properties onto all
tags that required translatable text.  JSF intentionally
pushed aside that precedent, and I'm glad we did.

-- Adam