On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 12:31:20PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> AS>> If you write free and GPL-compatible software, you're free from
> AS>> the burden of lawyers. If you want to be a smartass and to try
>
> Which means "GPL software is only for those who writes GPL software". That
> gets as "free" as Iranian law - if you like it, you are certainly very
> free and happy in Iran. The problem would come if you happen to dislike
> it...

For GPL (or superset rights) software authors, and for the users.
Certainly not to assist proprietary software authors. Do you think
it should? Then use another license for your software and
don't incorporate GPLed software. That's what the BSD license is
for. If you want to help proprietary software, use BSD license. If
you don't, use GPL. If you're only a user, the two are equivalent.
If you're a proprietary software vendor, don't integrate GPLed code.
If you want to be a smartass and do so anyway, get a lawyer first.
In any case, stop whining.

> AS>> This would be a clear-cut example of fair use.
>
> Tell me now, why, buying a copy of MS Word, I cannot run it on 200
> computers? I didn't sign any contract, so I owe nothing to nobody. I own a
> legally-obtained copy. Which law exactly prohibits me from doing it?

You sign a limited form of contract when you click on the "I agree"
box. But that's not relevant, because in order to run MS Word on 200
computers you have to manually install it on two hundred computers.
I remind you that were talking about the automatic and temporary