Subject: Attn JeffH [AP] help :How to burn directly to DVD
<<Hi JeffH,
I appreciate your feedback. Would you explain please the window media on DVD
data disc. How do you do these? I'm looking to archive hours and hours of
home video of my kids. I'm wearing out my video cam heads going back and
forth searching for footage. Also my 240gb hard disk is not big enough for a
whole tape( once the HD is half full it slow down my whole machine to a
crawl).>>
-----This is a shock, as DV-AVI/DV25 (miniDV) only requires 13 GB per hour,
so apparently you are capturing UNCOMPRESSED, which is pretty demanding and
usually unworkable unless you have a pretty fast array which is capable of
at least 160 MB/sec transfer rates.
So the first thing that needs to be addressed is how to get you in a
position to capture your analog correctly so that you only use up about 27
GB per two hour tape.
If your drive is slowing down after getting half full it's probably
something else causing the problem....it might be something to do with the
fact that you're capping uncompressed for all I know.
I'd like to know a little more about the connection scheme you are using to
cap from your tapes if they are analog and if they are the tapes IN your
digital camcorder (DV25) then there is definitely something incorrect going
on because in any normal cap via DV the system should be using a DV codec
which automatically does the proper compression.
<< this is why I was hoping to go directly to DVD. Then going back to edit
as I have time. I really don't have enough cash to buy more equipment at
this time. >>
Well you CAN always go back and edit later, but the MPEG files will NOT work
in Premiere. I dont know why Adobe does not take pains to make this clear to
people but its a simple fact that Premiere is meant for AVI, QuickTime and
Video For Windows only and although they might have future plans to
accomodate MPEG it is most likely in the form of an HD plug in meant for HDV
format, not MPEG-2 DVD-video.
<<I thought it was interesting that some felt I was female, which is
correct. LOL>>
It wasnt a feeling, it was your email address in the original post,
something like "camomtwoboys" which meant to me that you were a "California
Mom of two boys"., so I naturally made the assumption but it wasn't meant as
anything other than an attempt to make sure I was addressing someone
properly ;-)
----If you want to try using Windows Media Encoder to cap instead it will
most likely do a great job for you, but be sure and feel out the program
thoroughly before jumping in....check out all the PROPERTIES and try using
the WIZARD that usually pops up at the start of the program.
Your digital camcorder SHOULD be recognized as a DV source and you should
have no trouble capping.
You can also use Windows Movie Maker, which is also a great Windows Media
edit program.
You need to install XP service pack 2 in order to get the latest version of
WMM, especially if you are using WMM version 1, which is very buggy and
unusable.
The later versions work very well but the first go-round was a failure.
WMM will allow you to work in Windows Media OR DV-AVI....
If you want to continue trying to use Premiere that's probably your BEST
approach, then take your finished file and FEED it to Windows Media Encoder
and set the profile for HARDWARE DEVICES and use the 5 mbps bit rate and the
source aspect ratio already in use by the original footage.
You will get a very small and easily managed Windows Media Video file that,
for all practical purposes, looks exactly like the finished AVI from
Premiere, only much smaller so you can burn it to a DVD disc, but you will
need to use a program that can burn DATA to DVD, like Nero, for instance.
The finished DVD-data disk will ONLY play in your DVD-ROM drive on your
computer, but the good news is that it will also allow you to store the
finished file in a format that can be RE-ENCODED back to AVI with Windows
Movie Maker later on if you choose.
You can also play the disc through your TV-out video card INTO a VCR (analog
OR digital) and thereby make an edited master copy of the edited program
direct as it plays. Simply connect your VCR to the video outputs of your
card, insert a blank tape, hit RECORD and hit PLAY on Windows Media Player
(hit ALT+ENTER for FULL SCREEN).
You can also use the FREE Zoom Player for more professional playback if you
wish
(ALT+ENTER for FULL SCREEN, PLUS or MINUS to zoom the picture to fit your
screen.)
I originally started out using WME as a way to compact my finished Premiere
AVI files so that I could just store them on DVD disc instead of on tape
because I felt the storage would be better on disk. Naturally it was
impossible to store more than 20 minutes of AVI on a disc because of the
files sizes but when I saw what Windows Media looked like at FIVE mbps I was
convinced it would do the job well and I was happy with the result and no
one has ever been able to tell the difference.
DV-AVI files are 25 mbps so until someone comes up with a DVD media and a
machine that can store 25 to 30 gigabytes instead of 4.3, we are stuck
without a disc based storage system for all those files and they DO start
filling up those hard drives pretty fast!
I still make backup tape copies of all my finished projects but I have not
had the need to use them yet....the Windows Media copies at 5mbps work
beautifully.
I just import them back into WMM2 and tell WMM to render them as DV-AVI and
I have my original file again....."freeze-dried"...
Since my machine is connected to my entertainment system I dont see the need
to make DVD's unless they are for someone else, so I just stay mostly in
Windows Media and use that format for playback....it takes up a fraction of
the space on both disc and hard drives and it looks fabulous.
JeffH
Ch.S.
--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 266.5.5 - Release Date: 3/1/2005
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/