Generally speaking, video compression standards are the product of groups
of engineers working to create a delivery format that is broadly compatible
with target playback devices. So MPEG-2 serves the needs of movie
distributors (on optical disk) and satellite/cable/DSL (digital)
Broadcasters. If, as a producer, you don't create outputs that conform to
the standard, you risk failure to perform at the delivery end. MPEG-2
standards are fairly tight, but do allow, at the production end, the
creation of single files containing video and audio or separate audio and
video files brought together in authoring software, like Encore, DVD Lab,
MyDVD and so on. In North America the audio component should be WAV or AC-3
while in other parts of the world MPEG audio is allowed. On some players in
NA you can use it without a problem, and in others it won't play back. But
when the authoring is done properly the resulting replicated disks
(stamped, not burned) will almost always play across the range of DVD set
top players.

MPEG-4 was created to cover a lot of ground, from portable devices like
cell phones and iPods to satellite and other digital delivery systems for
viewing on TV. However, unlike MPEG-2, various participants developed their
own flavours, like Divx and Microsoft, neither of which conform to the
engineering standard. That's why Divx came with its own player for so long.
That's why file converters like Quick Time Pro 7 have only recently begun
to offer MPEG-4 export options like "convert to iPod video" for example. I
still don't see a lot of web video in MPEG-4, because of the flavours
issue. Do you have a player that will understand the version being
downloaded? What do you do if you can hear the audio but not see the video?
Producers are concerned about this stuff and their reluctance to choose it
versus other more universal formats has slowed its distribution. I'm not a
professional and can't make many statements with absolute certainty, but
from where I sit, MPEG-4 is still a challenging choice unless you're aiming
only for iPod or Divx-enabled DVD players, and I'm sure I'm missing some
options. I'm also hoping someone will correct any inaccuracies in my overview.

David Hurdon