apples - organges = bananas

What I mean by this is your method is flawed.  You can't rely on numbers from
TSM (selects) and numbers from the 3494 (mtlib) to mean the same things.
For example: you did not consider tapes in INSERT mode in the 3494.  They indeed
take up space but are niether private or scratch as they aren't known to TSM.
Database backup volumes don't appear in the volumes table but will be in
drmedia.  The 3494 inventory and the TSM library inventory can get out of sync
due to some creative human activities.

To get the number of cleaner carts try: mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -qI|grep -c CLN
This assuming your cleaner carts begin with CLN

-Al

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          Daniel       |
|        |          Swan/TM      |
|        |          <Daniel.Swan@|
|        |          TELUS.COM>   |
|        |          Sent by:     |
|        |          "ADSM: Dist  |
|        |          Stor Manager"|
|        |          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|        |          RIST.EDU>    |
|        |                       |
|        |                       |
|        |          10/02/00     |
|        |          05:09 PM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          "ADSM: Dist  |
|        |          Stor Manager"|
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                         |
  |       cc:                                                                  |
  |       Subject:     Capacity figures not quite working out...why?           |

I've calculated my capacity as follows, but the numbers don't jibe.  Here
are how I calculate.

1)  Total offsite: select count(*) from drmedia
2)  Total tapes:  select count(*) from volumes where devclass_name='DEV3590'
3)  Total Scratch: select count(*) from libvolumes where status ='Scratch'
4)  # of tapes in library=( -qL | grep "number of cells")
minus (mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -qL | grep "available cells")
5)  Number of tapes Onsite=total tapes-total offsite.

tapes in library should equal scratch+onsite, but it doesn't.  Even giving a
little room for cleaning tapes.  Here are how my figures work out:

1)  594
2)  1069
3)  183
4)  804 (857-53)
5)  475 (1069-594)

Now shouldn't 4) equal 5) + 3) ??  How do I account for the hundred
uncounted tapes?

How do I determine the # of tapes allocated for cleaning?