TSM doesn't do compression on the server side other then what the tape
drives themselves are capable of. And in that case the compression (and
decompression) is done by the hardware on the tape drives and therefore has
no impact on your TSM server. Thus points 1 and 2 below aren't valid..

Points 3 and 4 are valid though and in my opinion the main "pros" of doing
client-side compression. Add to those points the fact that less data is
transferred over the network which might be desirable if a network is
already fairly loaded (usually not the case) or slow (mobile backups via the
internet and whatnot).

The con's of doing client-side compression are primarily that they impact
the client computers a great deal (in my experience). Particularly NT
systems.. It also significantly impacts overall backup and restore times
which for the most part is unacceptable in my opinion.

Keep client-side compression off unless you have a valid reason to have it
on..  my two cents

Gerald Wichmann
RS Engineer
Sansia System Solutions