>4 - The security team brought an interesting question to my attention.  Is
>the data that we send offsite, via copy pool, encrypted to where someone
>could not just take the tape and view the data. My thoughts are that the
>data is encrypted and cannot be recovered without the TSM database and in
>order to restore the TSM database to another server, I would think there is
>some sort of security there.

Terry - Here's what we've learned thus far about this general subject,
        as accumulated in my notes at http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts:

Security in *SM                         First, *SM was not designed for
                                        physically insecure environments.
                                        Userid/Password: Rather rudimentary, in
                                        that there is no distinction between
                                        upper and lower case. But it uses a
                                        "double-handshake" authentication
                                        process that's pretty robust and
                                        relatively tough to crack.
                                        Tapes: They are in proprietary,
                                        undefined format, with no customer tools
                                        for directly interpreting them.
  Richard