From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
George Yang
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 6:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SAN backup and tape drive share with 3494?

Hi all,

 We are trying to develop SAN with 3494 libr. We have 7 ADSM servers with
3.1, 3.7 and 4.1 version. We have EMC/symmetricx and Mcdata/Concentrix
switch and Bridges. We have done the dump data from symmetrix disk to 3590E
tape drive through Concentrix switches and Mcdata bridges (FC-SCSI) by
using TSM 4.1, and that is LAN-free.

However this is just a TSM server self backup and migration (server and
client in the same box).

If we want backup another AIX client which is using the SAN (EMC/symmetricx
and Mcdata/Concentrix switch), how we can do it??  The FC and LAN are both
connected, when we use the ADSM client backup it looks like the data
transmission is through the LAN.

If it is a NT client (same env. like EMC/symmetricx and Mcdata/Concentrix
switch ), how we can do that??

TSM 4.1 provide a SAN agent, it can make the Client backup directly to
3590E tape drive. But it looks like 3494 atl is not support yet, Is that is
true?? How can the TSM servers share the tape drives??

If that is the case, how we can do our LAN free backup? We have UNIX and NT
servers.

George