>We have a 3466-C00, AIX 4.3.2 and TSM 3.7.1. We have a 3494 library with
>3590E1A drives with extended length capability. I changed the DEVCLASS for
>the tapes to 3590E-C. I then performed an EXPIRE INVENTORY and lowered
>reclamation thresholds....
>I may be dealing with the wrong type of data, but I see no compression here.

John - Use the AIX command '/usr/sbin/lsattr -E -l rmt1'
       and see what it has for "compress".  TSM *should* have
set this to "yes".  (I wonder if you may have to delete and
redefine the drive for the new setting to be employed?)
I'll assume that the client is not compressing the data, either
via TSM client settings or utilities employed on files, and that
extended length tapes are being used.
   Richard Sims, BU