Howard,

if you are coming from MVS so i assume you don't have UNIX experience at all.
This was my situation two years ago.

TSM will run well on Solaris and on AIX - i think there won't be any difference.
We have several Solaris and AIX
boxes in our shop and we have good skill for both OS in our department. Our TSM
installation (RS/6000, 3494, 3590)
runs on AIX which has some advantages:

- i find AIX more easily to learn and maintain for a newcomer. Some of it's
features mean extra cost on Solaris (i. e. logical volume manager)

- in case of a problem the complete system is supported by the same provider.
You don't need to contact several
hotlines.

So it's more a question of taste than a technical one.

regards

Reinhold Wagner, Zeuna Staerker GmbH & Co. KG