While I don't use SQL Backtrack for Informix, I use it for Sybase. I doubt they are
very different. I have heard others recently make comments about the product,
basically that it isn't very good, and that is the truth. I still prefer to dump my
database to a filesystem.

My problems with the product include:
- it is not very robust
- it is awkward to use, no GUI

Anyway, it DOES work for me.

Expiration
*------------------
I let SQL Backtrack manage the expiration.
I have a SQLBACKTRACK management class:
adsm> q MGMTCLASS nisa_dom standard sqlbacktrack f=d

            Policy Domain Name: NISA_DOM
               Policy Set Name: STANDARD
               Mgmt Class Name: SQLBACKTRACK
          Default Mgmt Class ?: No
    Space Management Technique: None
       Auto-Migrate on Non-Use: 0
    Migration Requires Backup?: Yes
         Migration Destination: SPACEMGPOOL
Last Update by (administrator): PURDYM
         Last Update Date/Time: 07/28/99   10:03:52

adsm> q COPYGROUP nisa_dom standard SQLBACKTRACK f=d

            Policy Domain Name: NISA_DOM
               Policy Set Name: STANDARD
               Mgmt Class Name: SQLBACKTRACK
               Copy Group Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Type: Backup
          Versions Data Exists: No Limit
         Versions Data Deleted: 0
         Retain Extra Versions: 0
           Retain Only Version: 0
                     Copy Mode: Modified
            Copy Serialization: Shared Dynamic
                Copy Frequency: 0
              Copy Destination: DATABASE
Last Update by (administrator): PURDYM
         Last Update Date/Time: 07/12/99   16:01:34
              Managing profile:

The trick is setting Versions Data Deleted, Retain Extra Versions, and Retain Only
Version to zero. Then let SQL Backtrack manage the expiration.

>From the SQL Backtrack config:
begin options
  type=-physical
  server=-server NISA_SQLP
  dumpuser=-user sqlbacktrack
  loaduser=-user sqlbacktrack
  default_backup_pool=adsm_database_backup
  dumpcommand=dtsdump $type $server $database
  loadcommand=dtsload
  database=-database ncss
  generations=3
  dumpepass=Z5P8NRAKSENSYXWXQ2UGJ4Q3AZSSU7KG
  loadepass=EPQXWLCT6N4UWNP2AGPQGB58AJT4CBYS
end options

Notice that generations is three, this is how many will stay on ADSM/TSM.

I noticed that your obsi-adsm version is 2.4.10, I think you should be using 2.5 with
TSM, 2.4 is for ADSM.

If you need more information, let me know.
Miles

Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09-Mar-01 3:55:12 PM >>>
IS ANYBODY USING THIS PRODUCT?  Have you been able to make "expiration" work...
Not having much luck and would appreciate some assistance.  TSM server 3.7.3.6
on AIX 4.3.2 and Client 3.7.2 on AIX 4.3.3. Informix 731UC2. The BMC Product, as
mentioned in the subject line is V 3.0 and the obsi module is obsi-adsm 2.4.10.
Any hints on how to make expiration work would be welcome... BMC has proved less
than helpful.

George Lesho
Storage/System Admin
AFC Enterprises