>From a hardware perspective if you have 3590 E drives then you can convert
them from SCSI to Fibre Channel and put them on the SAN.  This is the
supported config.  The biggest problem right now is that the 3494 itself
does not have SAN capability.  Unfortunately this was the show stopper for
me.  For the time being I am preparing for eventual attachment to the SAN by
upgrading as many other things as I can with the last step being the upgrade
of the 3494.  Things are changing very quickly in this area so what may have
been so last week no longer may be true.  You definitely want to talk with
the TSM folks and your backend storage provider.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gill, Geoffrey L. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 10:47 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SAN Solution

I've been asked to investigate a SAN solution and wonder if someone can give
me some info. Currently we are backing up over the network to TSM 4.1.2.0
which runs on an H50, AIX 4.3.3 with an automated 3494. If anyone is
currently configured and running could you drop me a line please. I'd like
to know what the initial cost was, if you had a similar setup, how much
trouble was it to change? Will I have to "redo" my current TSM installation?
Should I start with a new installation of TSM altogether and then migrate
the data? What extra hardware/software, over and above what I have now, is
involved?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff Gill