Von: Christo Heuër [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 26. April 2001 10:50
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: Re: Tape Swapping

Hi Volker,

There are a few things you can check:
Your disk storage pool - is it big enough to hold all the data of these 3
servers?
Your disk storage pool - if you do a "q stg xyzdiskpool f=d", does it show
that your Maximum Size threshold = No Limit ?
If these two things are true - you have enough space on the disk pool and
there is no size limitation on the disk pool - you should not see any tape
mounts.
Are there any other prosess running(reclamation etc.) that might make you
think it is the client session causing the mounts?

Let me know if you make progress.

Cheers
Christo Heuer
ABSA Bank
Johannesburg
South Africa

Hello fellow *SMers,

in our small environment we back up 3 WinNT 4.0 SP5 server systems with TSM
client 4.1.2.12 to a TSM 4.1.2.1 server on WinNT with an ADIC Faststore 22
Autoloader. Our daily incremental backups go first do a disk storage pool on
the TSM server. All 3 WinNT servers are associated to one schedule
DAILY_INCREMENTAL with a 1 hour start up window. The backup processes spend
most of the time looking for changed files. The overall amount of backed up
data is 1-3 GB per night.

During the backup process the TSM server mounts a tape in the ADIC every
time one of the server systems start some activity. This happens in
intervals of 2-4 minutes. These are by far too many tape mounts.

The questions is WHY?
The backup is supposed to go to disk, not to tape, so i expect to see NO or
at least reduced tape activity.

If this is a lack of knowledge on my part i will take your RTM
recommendations. If not any help is appreciated.

With kindest regards

Volker
Volker Arendt                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gaußstr. 20                                            Tel : +49(202)4392448
42097 Wuppertal, Deutschland                           Fax:  +49(202)4392448
Bergische Universität Wuppertal - Fachbereich Wirtschaftswissenschaft (FB 6)
Lehrstuhl für rechnergestütztes Controlling