Hi Eric and list.

I found the problem.

The home directory of the user is /tsm/wtsmt01.  That is also the mount point
of a file system

When mounted the permissions were fine
drwxrwxrwx   11 wtsmt01  tsm           16384 25 May 16:55 wtsmt01

When unmounted however the permissions were not correct.
drwx------    7 root     system          256 10 Apr 14:37 wtsmt01

During start up db2 uses /bin/pwd which is symlinked to /usr/bin/pwd

I ran your db2idrop successfully but the db2icrt failed.  The log said

1. Verify the access permissions of the home directory of the instance
   owner by using the command "su".

   Example:

   /usr/bin/su <instance_owner> -c /bin/pwd

2. If the permissions do not include "r" and "x", unmount the drive,
   change the permissions, and remount the drive.

   Example:

   unmount /<directory>
   chown <instance_owner> /<directory>
   chmod  755 /<directory>
   mount /<directory>

   Related information:
   File permission requirements for the instance and database
   directories

#1 failed, so I performed #2 and that fixed the issue.

The symptom that I had seen before I started this debugging is that the
instance user is getting a permissions error executing pwd

Many thanks

Steve