Hi Guys

I'm looking for some help with managing a protectier VTL.

A bit of background  we have two sites TSM 7.1.7.300 and a protectier gateway
at each with 1 PB of storage behind it.
There are two main TSM instances at each site, one for VM snaps and one for BA
Client backups.  Offsite replication is by Global Mirror of the disk and
Protectier replication. No TSM node replication. Each instance has its own
Virtual Library

So we went close to filling up one of the Protectiers a while back. Got down to
5% free space, when the limit is 10%.  The situation has now improved by moving
most of the BA client load on to a Data Domain, and  unloading long term
backups to real tape, so we are about 25% free on the protectier.

Before the space issues, we were allocating Protectier carts at 100GB max.  The
protectier will allocate up to that limit but will truncate sooner if it runs
out of space.
When we got short on space we needed to allocate additional volumes and did so
as we needed to.  While we still specified 100GB most are smaller than that,
some down as small as 30GB.
What has happened now is that even though the protectier free space has
improved, the size of volumes has not, and, as TSM reclaims volumes they are
being truncated at a smaller size than they were.  Thus we are running out of
volumes again and reclaim is making things worse rather than better.

A complicating factor is that if a volume is unavailable when needed by the VBS
Datamover, which uses lan-free to the VTL, the VM backup fails, so running lean
is not really an option.

Questions:
The space saving has come from a different virtual library to where the space
is needed.  Is this significant?
Has anyone come across this and developed a management strategy?  All I can
think of is moving empty carts to the "shelf" and deleting them from there.  If
I do this from the same library with the space shortages that will make things
worse in  terms of number-of-volumes.

Cheers

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin/Consultant
Canberra Australia

This message and any attachment is confidential and may be privileged or
otherwise protected from disclosure. You should immediately delete the message
if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this email by
mistake please delete it from your system; you should not copy the message or
disclose its content to anyone.

This electronic communication may contain general financial product advice but
should not be relied upon or construed as a recommendation of any financial
product. The information has been prepared without taking into account your
objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider the Product
Disclosure Statement relating to the financial product and consult your
financial adviser before making a decision about whether to acquire, hold or
dispose of a financial product.

For further details on the financial product please go to http://www.bt.com.au

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.