Hi All,

I've been requested recently to provide a report showing, for each of the
clients defined on our TSM server, how much disk space was used on the storage
attached to TSM server. This report would then be used to define the storage
sizing requirements for a future TSM infrastructure. You have to know that we
are currently working exclusively with directory-based storage pools, therefore
enabling deduplication and compression for all of the backed-up data.

I then tried various approaches, all of them based on queries against TSM
server, making use of occupancy or auditocc tables  :

NODE_NAME NODE_NAME,TOTAL_MB from auditocc
SELECT NODE_NAME, FILESPACE_NAME, LOGICAL_MB, PHYSICAL_MB, REPORTING_MB from
occupancy

The csv formatted output would then be massaged into some Excel sheet to get
desired results.

It finally appeared that whatever query or method I used,  the sum of the
storage usage reported for our client nodes was exceeding the amount of storage
we attached to our TSM servers ! In addition to this, the values obtained were
not aligned with the charge back report provided by Operation Center.

Thus my question : does anyone have a method available that would allow us to
accurately measure the exact amount of real, physical storage used by a client.
I'm fully aware that there will be some overhead due to expired data,
containers reuse delay and so on, and do not mandatorily want to include it in
the calculations ... Again, this report must be reporting the data per client,
not as a whole for some storage pool ...

Thanks for any hint !

Cheers.

Arnaud