Uwe,

This was 100% it.
The "q server" output showed transitional but the admin was strict on the
8.1 system.
I did not realize that this would cause issues with a ping server and an
export server command.

I created a new admin, set to transtional and used the old servers dsmadmc
to login to the systems and now the ping server, export and replication
works just fine.

So thank you Uwe!