Hi Eric,

It seems to work for me. Example shown below. In the mean time, is it
possible that Windows UAC could be involved? Try opening a Windows OS
prompt with the "Run as Administrator" option, then try running a sequence
of commands like I show below

C:\>md BaseDir\SubstDrive\dir1\dir2

C:\>echo Hello, World!> C:\BaseDir\SubstDrive\dir1\testfile1.txt

C:\>echo Hello, World!> C:\BaseDir\SubstDrive\dir1\dir2\testfile2.txt

C:\>dir BaseDir /b /s
C:\BaseDir\SubstDrive
C:\BaseDir\SubstDrive\dir1
C:\BaseDir\SubstDrive\dir1\dir2
C:\BaseDir\SubstDrive\dir1\testfile1.txt
C:\BaseDir\SubstDrive\dir1\dir2\testfile2.txt

C:\>subst t: C:\BaseDir\SubstDrive

C:\>dir T: /b /s
T:\dir1
T:\dir1\dir2
T:\dir1\testfile1.txt
T:\dir1\dir2\testfile2.txt

C:\>cd "Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient"

C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient>dsmc i t:
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Backup-Archive Client Interface
  Client Version 7, Release 1, Level 8.5
  Client date/time: 07/18/2019 06:37:56
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2019. All Rights
Reserved.

Node Name: W2012R2SQL2014
Session established with server BABYLON5: Windows
  Server Version 8, Release 1, Level 8.000
  Server date/time: 07/18/2019 06:38:05  Last access: 07/18/2019 06:35:18

Incremental backup of volume 't:'
Directory-->                   0 \\w2012r2sql2014\t$\ [Sent]
Directory-->                   0 \\w2012r2sql2014\t$\dir1 [Sent]
Directory-->                   0 \\w2012r2sql2014\t$\dir1\dir2 [Sent]
Normal File-->                15 \\w2012r2sql2014\t$\dir1\dir2
\testfile2.txt [Sent]
Normal File-->                15 \\w2012r2sql2014\t$\dir1\testfile1.txt
[Sent]
Successful incremental backup of '\\w2012r2sql2014\t$'

Total number of objects inspected:            5
Total number of objects backed up:            5
Total number of objects updated:              0
Total number of objects rebound:              0
Total number of objects deleted:              0
Total number of objects expired:              0
Total number of objects failed:               0
Total number of objects encrypted:            0
Total objects deduplicated:                   0
Total number of objects grew:                 0
Total number of retries:                      0
Total number of bytes inspected:             30  B
Total number of bytes processed:           1.18 KB
Total bytes before deduplication:             0  B
Total bytes after deduplication:              0  B
Total number of bytes transferred:         1.33 KB
Data transfer time:                        0.00 sec
Network data transfer rate:                0.00 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:              0.07 KB/sec
Objects compressed by:                        0%
Deduplication reduction:                   0.00%
Total data reduction ratio:                0.00%
Elapsed processing time:               00:00:19
ANS1900I Return code is 0.
ANS1901I Highest return code was 0.

C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient>dsmc show domain
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Backup-Archive Client Interface
  Client Version 7, Release 1, Level 8.5
  Client date/time: 07/18/2019 06:38:39
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2019. All Rights
Reserved.

Node Name: W2012R2SQL2014
Session established with server BABYLON5: Windows
  Server Version 8, Release 1, Level 8.000
  Server date/time: 07/18/2019 06:38:48  Last access: 07/18/2019 06:38:24

Domain specifications:
domain keywords: not specified
-domain        : not specified
Domains in effect:
domain         : \\w2012r2sql2014\c$
domain         : \\w2012r2sql2014\e$
domain         : \\w2012r2sql2014\t$
domain         : SYSTEMSTATE
domain.image   : not specified
domain.nas     : not specified
domain.snapshot     : not specified
ANS1900I Return code is 0.
ANS1901I Highest return code was 0.

C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient>

Best regards,

Andy

Andrew Raibeck | IBM Spectrum Protect Level 3 | stor...@us.ibm.com

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 2019-07-18
05:36:36:

> From: "Loon, Eric van (ITOP NS) - KLM" <eric-van.l...@klm.com>
> To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
> Date: 2019-07-18 05:37
> Subject: [EXTERNAL] How to make dsmc recognize drives
> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU>
>
> Hi guys,
>
> For some tests I want to create separate drives in Windows and back
> them up with SP. I create these drives with the subst command (subst
> D: c:\<target directory>). The drives created are visible in the
> Windows GUI and accessible through the Windows command line, but the
> Spectrum Protect client does not recognize them.
> Does anybody know how to make dsmc recognize them as a separate drive?
> Thanks for any help in advance!
>
> Kind regards,
> Eric van Loon
> Air France/KLM Storage & Backup

> For information, services and offers, please visit our web site:
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> u=http-3A__www.klm.com&d=DwIFAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

siA1ZOg&r=Ij6DLy1l7wDpCbTfcDkLC_KknvhyGdCy_RnAGnhV37I&m=yM2viQdCtneGSbZB2Gl8EDPWy0lboH_Vl_R8isBnb5M&s=BknPhe5Lp4XeaVSAmZfFobMlYPgKHHBwD-