Chris,

  yours is easy to answer: You have a performance problem, not a TSM problem.
For VM-backup I have a dedicated LPAR in a S842, 3vCPU, 128GB RAM, SR-IOV
10GB. Storage is a V7000, SSD/SAS. There has never been a backup or restore
problem performance wise, everything is running with wire-speed.
 The only problem we hsd was client side dedup, II28096 hit us bad, 5 days of
audit for each TSM-instance over and over again until the reason was
identified.

For a start: keep the size of hdisk small for the db. Better 2 x 50GB that 1
100GB. chfs -e x and reorgvg is your friend. mount option "rbrw,noatime" is of
great use for db, log, arc and stg pools. Check you queue_depth and set it to
max.

As for SQL: use as many streams as the client can handle. CPU is there to
handle load, not to waste energy by idleing.

--
Michael Prix