Von: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> Im Auftrag von Steven
Harris1
Gesendet: Dienstag, 12. Mai 2020 02:19
An: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
Betreff: [ADSM-L] SPP Security hole

Hi list.   I've been told that this list is also for Spectrum Protect Plus
so here goes.

I'm about to build an SPP environment to back up a small VMWare environment.
SPP is to be 10.5.1 and the nodes are all RHEL 7.

Getting down into the details I see that for file indexing to work we need to
set up an sppagent user. Looks like the filesystem will be trawled for file
details using this user.

The user is to be defined with sudo rights to run ANY command, without a
password!

That is not going to pass muster in any enterprise.  It would be unprofessional
even to contemplate it.  This particular environment is a secure one, so this
may well kill the product here.  I have raised a ticket to get a definitive
list of commands, and if I don't get satisfaction I will raise an APAR against
this, but seriously, I fail to see how a product could even get publicly
released with such a serious security hole.

Cheers

Steven Harris
Admin Dogsbody, Canberra Australia