Hey, all.  Just to resurrect this old thread, we ran into all of these same
issues, plus more.

############
POSSIBLY FIXED #1, My 8.1.13.100 servers do not seem to leave hung stgrule
target processes around.

Also, it looks like 8.1.13.012 has some additional fixes that help this.
012 patches may not are not 100% in 8.1.13.100, which looks to be based off
of 8.1.13.010.

These are the ones in 8.1.13.012 but not in 8.1.13.100:
* IT40506 - REPLICATION JOB TRIGGERED FROM A REPLICATION STORAGE RULE
LASTING BEYOND DEFINED DURATION OR APPEARING TO HANG
* IT40121 - REPLICATION STGRULE MAY ENCOUNTER A HANG WHEN THE
SDREPLTCRPHASE CHECKTHREAD THREAD EXITS EARLY
* IT39715 - COPY TO TAPE USING A STORAGE RULE FAILS WITH ERROR ANR0102E
* IT40973 - ANR1652E REPLICATION FAILED MESSAGE APPEARS AT THE END OF A
SUCCESSFUL REPLICATION STORAGE RULE
* IT40995 - A STGRULE OF AN ACTIONTYPE=COPY WON'T HONOR THE CANCEL PROCESS
COMMAND

############
WORKAROUND #2, The issue where START STGRULE hangs until resourcetimeout
and aborts is not resolved.  Note that, related, is ongoing monitoring that
does things like QUERY NODES and QUERY BACKUPSET will also hang if the
STGRULE is hung.  By hung, it never shows up in Q PROC, but if you ran it
from DSMADMC, it just sits there never starting.

This one is related to client sessions holding table locks on the nodes
view.  So far, support says to either ensure there is a time slot with zero
client activity, or make an admin schedule/script that runs DISABLE SESS
CLIENT, then does some sort of delay to ensure client sessions are gone,
then runs START STGRULE, then ENABLE SESS.  Once the START STGRULE returns,
the hang risk is not really a problem anymore.

Note that REPLICATE NODE does not have this issue.  It's purely the stgrule
based replication that does this.  Still hoping for adjustments in lock
handling during stgrule start.

############
FIXED #3, A key fix was IT40338, but really, most of 8.1.13.010 /
8.1.13.100 is based on stgrule fixes. We have a couple issues fixed in
8.1.13.012 for target-side termination hangs, and that's not in
8.1.12.100.  All of the issues were mostly related to busy servers where
Oracle logs are backed up throughout the day for shorter RPO.  This also
improved the issue where external monitoring sessions would hang and
accumulate in Q SES.  5 weeks in, and we have not had client hangs / slow
backups when replication has run or is running.

############
POSSIBLY FIXED #4, As to the tiering by filespace issue, once we put on
8.1.13.100, our draining pools have begun moving data again.  I still have
a lot of unmigrated data, but TIER STGPOOL counts are incrementing.

For context, the issues mostly seem related to our servers with DBs over
3TB.  This environment is around 4PB after dedupe, 15 ingest servers, plus
an old set of replicas, and a new set of replicas (in transition).

Some of our servers are active all the time, and some are particularly
large.  We ran into expiration issues and chunk deletion issues that left
our DBs pretty large, and fragmented.  Offline reorg takes too long.
70kiops SSD available for the DB and we still struggle with admin jobs.

With friendly Regards,
Josh-Daniel S. Davis