Title: Upgrade: ADSM 3.1 to TSM 4.1 & Peripheral Software Pre-req Levels

Hi, getting a consolidated view........

We are currently faced with the following upgrade situation.

Very little R&D info is available re the ADSMConnect Clients and TDP clients ito of backward compatibility issues. I.e having to restore backups from the ADSMConnect backup levels with the TDP clients, co-existence matters, install preservation, etc..

Being unsupported product levels now does not help in getting official statements/documentation from IBM/Tivoli on the matter.

The question is whether anyone in the field does have any one similar config working/not working/working with problems/had to backout, etc.. If you would be so kind and let me have the input re this situation at your site.

The ADSM / TSM upgrade part is not in particular seen as a problem. Yet any showstopper info/pointers/references will also be welcomed.

Server: ADSM 3.1.2.50 to TSM 4.1.3.x server

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jupiter:

        ADSMConnect for Oracle 2.1.0.6 (Unsupported)
        Oracle 7.3.4.5
        AIX 4.2.1 (Unsupported)
        EBU
        ADSM API
            The platform used is Oracle certified (i.e correct levels of software, etc.)

        TDP for Oracle 2.2.1
        Oracle 7.3.4.5 (Oracle 7.3.4 is shown in the TDP for Oracle booklet...I take it  7.3.4.5 is ok!)
        AIX 4.2.1 (AIX 4.3.1 is listed as the requirement...is this for real....or only because 4.2.1 is not supported anymore?)

        EBU
        TSM API  3.7.2 (is a higher level API supported ..ie. was this the latest level API available at the time of publication? )

1) Is this target system possible?
2) Can I see, restore and manage the old system's Oracle backups with the new system?
3) Can I use the same EBUCAT as the old system?

 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Client 2:

        ADSMConnect for Oracle 2.2.1 (Unsupported)
        Oracle 8.06
        AIX 4.3.2
        ADSM API
        RMAN (shared backcat with other RMAN clients)

        TDP for Oracle 2.2.1
        Oracle 8.06 (not shown in TDP for Oracle booklet...only Oracle 8.0.5 and 8.1.5)
        AIX 4.3.2
        TSM API  3.7.2 (is a higher level API supported ..ie. was this the latest level API available at the time of publication? )

        RMAN (shared backcat with other RMAN clients)

1) Is this target system possible?
2) Can I see, restore and manage the old system's Oracle backups with the new system?
3) Can I use the same shared backcat as the old system?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Client 3:

        ADSMConnect for Oracle 2.2.1 (Unsupported)
        Oracle 8.1.6.3
        AIX 4.3.2
        ADSM API
        RMAN (shared backcat with other RMAN clients)

        TDP  for Oracle 2.2.1 (Unsupported)
        Oracle 8.1.6.3 (not shown in TDP for Oracle booklet)
        AIX 4.3.2
        TSM API  3.7.2 (is a higher level API supported ..ie. was this the latest level API available at the time of publication? )

        RMAN (shared backcat with other RMAN clients)

1) Is this target system possible?
2) Can I see, restore and manage the old system's Oracle backups with the new system?
3) Can I use the same shared backcat as the old system?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Client 4:

        ADSMConnect for MS Exchange 1.1.0.0B (Unsupported)

        TDP for MS Exchange V2.2 (to replace ADSMConnect agent...........TDP V1 matters vs TDP 2.2 ........do they count here)

        TSM 3.7.x Backup/Archive Client (for scheduling)

1) Is this target system possible?
2) Can I see, restore and manage the old system's MS Exchange backups with the new system? Albeit running ADSMconnect Agent as with TDP V1 requirements

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Many thanks for your help and input

Campbell

The Truworths e-mail facility may not be used for the distribution of chain
letters or offensive email.  Truworths hereby distances itself from and
accepts no liability for the unauthorised use of its e-mail facility or the
sending of e-mail communications for other than strictly business purposes.
Truworths furthermore disclaims liability for any unauthorised instruction
for which permission was not granted.