From:   William Boyer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Monday, November 06, 2000 1:50 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Offsite Vaulting

* First you need to define TSM to CA-1 as an External Data Manager (EDM).
This procedure is described in the Systems Programmer book for CA-1 under
the heading of define DFHSM. Same procedure, different names.
* Install the CA-1 delivered version of the ARCTVEXT.
* In your DSMSERV options file code DELETIONEXIT(ARCTVEXT).
* Now in TSM, create a device class that will be used to create your offsite
media (copypool/dbbackups). For the PREFIX= give it something like TSM.OFF
(you only have 8-chars). Create your copy storage pool(s) referencing this
device class.
* In your CA-1 vault pattern list add the TSM.OFF.** to you list of volumes
for offsite movement.
* You will need to add a step to your batch job used to create your vault
list in CA-1 to update TSM. You should schedule this for a time when TSM is
not doing any backup storage pool to copypool processes. If TSM is using a
tape, it won't change the access to OFFSITE, but CA-1 will flag the tape as
needing to go offsite. The librarian will pull the tape, but TSM still
thinks it's available. So you may get a mount request for a volume that's
offsite.

You're database backups just reference the device class for the offsite
PREFIX and CA-1 takes care of the rest.
If you have DRM licensed, you can do this with some MOVE DRMEDIA commands.
If not, just some UPD VOL commands. Here's what I use. It's actually a
script that I RUN from an admin schedule.

/*----------------------------------------- ------------------------*/
/*  THIS SCRIPT IS USED TO CHANGE THE ACCES S MODE OF ALL EMPTY     */
/*  OFFSITE VOLUMES TO ONSITE, AND ALL ONSI TE COPYPOOL TAPES       */
/*  WITH A STATUS OF FILLING OR FULL.                               */
/*                                                                  */
/*  UPDATE THE COPYPOOL2 STORAGE POOL TAPES ....                    */
UPDATE VOLUME * ACC=READW WHERESTGPOOL=COPYPOOL2 WHEREACCESS=OFFSITE
WHERESTATUS=EMPTY
UPDATE VOLUME * ACC=OFFSITE WHERESTGPOOL=COPYPOOL2 WHEREACCESS=READW,READO
WHERESTATUS=FIL,FUL
* When volumes go scratch, TSM notifies CA-1 via the DELETIONEXIT(ARCTVEXT)
to return the volume to scratch status. Then CA-1 will schedule these
scratch tapes that are offsite to be brought back.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.