Yes, the long ribbon cable to the picker is the one.  It may be different on the L12
than on the L24-L32 - the Tall units though.

I would check that you have latest microcode on the library - that's Library microcode
not drive microcode.

Get a GOOD light and open library and look inside and see if there is anything that
may be blocking movement of picker, even slightly.

If this probelm is readily repeatable then I have another suggestion.  That is to open
and manually disable interlock on door (this may be different on your L12) so library
will operate with door open and with a light you can easily see what is happening.
Then do some checkins and see if you can tell if there is any mechanical problem with
picker movement.

NOTE: Keep hands out of the library with door open as those servo's have some muscle
behind them, enough to HURT YOUR FINGERS!

Our problem was intermittant but we watched during heavy tape activity and were able
to actually see then cable get caught and when our local IBM CE called IBM Tucson and
discussed the continuing problem they detremined we needed the new mod.  Sounds like
the same one that George Lesho has.

David Longo

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/28/01 04:14AM >>>
David,

Although your explanation is very plausible, I cant find any damage on the
cable.

When I look at the moveing picker I can't see the grayribbon obstructing the
transport mechanism.

When you say ribbon cable is getting caught, Do you mean the long gray
ribbon cable from the base of the box to the picker ?

The strange thing is that when I use AIX tapeutil everything works fine....

When I do a " checkinlibvol ....... search=bulk checkl=bar" I get a error on
the Magstar 33h liftblocked and a Sense Code in the activity log and the
picker stops all action..

When I do a " checkinlibvol ..... search=bulk checkl=yes" I get a error on
the Magstar 33h liftblocked and No sense code in the activity log and the
picker moves the volume from the I/O port to his element.

So I guess there is somthing wrong with the Barcode Reader.. I allready had
an IBM CE turn the magstar inside out and recalibrate the barcodereader..
but nothing works....

I am now analysing the Sense code ( IBM is analysing ;-) .

So I am out of ideas on this problem for now....

Maybe Can the List help me out ?

Thanx for your Reply ...

Koen.