I would mark them as read only before you do your first write on the new
drives.  It makes your life easier in the long run.

-----Original Message-----
From: Louis Wiesemann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 1:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: TSM and 3590E Tapes

Thanks.  One thing I'm not clear on is whether I need to set the old B tapes
to readonly or can I let TSM do it for me.  IBM says that the new drives
will not write over a non-scratch tape in the old format.  When TSM calls
for an output tape and the drive detects the old format will it genrate an
error that causes TSM to mark the tape readonly and then mount a scratch
tape?  Or should I set the B tapes to readonly before bringing TSM up with
the new drives?

Thanks also to those who pointed me to the online archives.

------------------------------------

Louis J. Wiesemann                                             502-852-8952

   http://www.cin.org:81/guest/RemoteListSummary/dailywordtoday
point.

in case you haven't gotten your answer - there is no problem w/ the
upgrade.  as long as your drivers are current - and you have space in your
library - you should be ok.

The biggest gotcha is that your old B tapes will all become readonly -
because the E drive can't write the 128 track B format.  All your new
tapes written in E (256 track) format will reflect the proper
capacity.  If you are running mostly backups - and have a constant stream
of migrations / reclamations -  you can probably leave things alone.  if
your data is pretty static once it hits tape - then you might want to do
"move data"s on those tapes.

-john