I've seen all the replies and they are all good, but I don't think
they will solve your problem. I think the most telling problem is that when
you run backups individually, they work great, but when you have multiple
sessions and processes running at the same time, they all seem to bog down.
We are running 2 of our TSM servers on M80s and they just scream.

        It sounds like what bit us when we upgraded to AIX 4.3.3. Because of
the way TSM threads it's jobs, if you don't have a certain setting in AIX,
your TSM server will become a single threaded beast and really bog down.
>From the TSM 4.1.1 readme:

_______________________________
* Possible performance degradation due to threading                  *

On some systems Tivoli Storage Manager for AIX may exhibit significant
performance degradation due to TSM using user threads instead of
kernel threads.

This may be an AIX problem however, to avoid the performance degradation
you should set the following environment variables before you start
the server.

    export AIXTHREAD_MNRATIO=1:1
    export AIXTHREAD_SCOPE=S

        Making these changes don't require a reboot, so it's worth a shot to
add these in, make sure they get sourced into your current environment (by
logging out & back in, or just running these 2 lines) and then stop and
start the ADSM service.

Ben Bullock
Unix system manager
Micron Technology Inc.