Jeff, clever! run iostat, then watch sessions start and land on different
physical disks, on by one.
Like the idea.

But what happens when you run out of volumes? Say you have 8 disk volumes,
and 9 sessions.
Does the ninth session just hang, until one of the first 8 finishes?
Or does the ninth session grab some busy volume, sharing it with another
session?