Oh vastly experienced TSM wise ones!

We have a box with some large files, and a slow network, so I turned on
compression to see if it would speed the backup, but I think it may have
backfired. It looks to me like I just caused resends.

>From the client schedule.log:
10/02/2001 04:45:27 Normal File-->     109,740,032
/fnsw/local/oracle/oraIDB_sig  Compressed Data Grew
10/02/2001 04:45:47 Retry # 1  Normal File-->     109,740,032
/fnsw/local/oracle/oraIDB_sig  Sent

>From the UNIX Using the Backup-Archive Clients manual:
The compression option compresses files before you send them to the server.
Compressing your files reduces data storage for backup versions and archive
copies of your files. It can, however, affect TSM throughput. A fast
processor on a slow network connection benefits from compression, but a slow
processor on a fast network connection does not.

If you specify compressalways=yes, compression continues even if the file
size increases. To stop compression if the file size grows, and resend the
file uncompressed, specify compressalways=No.

</quote>

Am I really reading that right, that the client sent the data twice? I was
hoping that it would compress it client side, then if it looked good it
would send the compressed version, otherwise it would send the uncompressed
version. But it looks like it sends most of the compressed version, and then
the uncompressed version. How annoying.

If that is the case then I need to go through and count up how many (and how
large) files grew during compression and compare with the count and size of
the files that didn't and decide if I should use compression allways, or
turn compression back off. But before I go to that much work I wanted to
confirm that I am reading the situation correctly.

Thanks for your input!
Kai.