Has anyone been using backup sets?. I have been looking into using
backup sets on a monthly bases instead of archives. I am using DLT 40/80
gig drives/tapes (10 of them). TSM 4.2.1.6 on Windows 2000, and 4.2.0
clients on about 98% of the machines.

>From what I am reading I am able to perform this operation at the TSM
server and it directs the output to scratch tapes. The GREAT thing about
this is it does NOT touch the serves to retransmit all the data to the
archive storage pool, and then to tape (which is alot of traffic!). The
Backups sets would use more tapes (kind of like collocation turned on
right?!). So after the daily incremental running at night, I will be
able to create the backup sets ( for a monthly archive) using the
current data just backed up from that node. (right?!)

One question is when doing a backup set, does it also save all the
inactive files? or just the active ones?

Is there a way to direct all the backup sets to another copy pool to
utilize tape consumption and to keep the tapes separate from the other
copypools for easier search? (just a thought - but this would be a lot
of extra work.

Thank you

Joe Cascanette
The Cumis Group