From: Zlatko Krastev [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 5:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: New Tivoli licensing - what "processor" mean (RESOLVED)

Hello fellow *SMers,

even if I do not like the answer we've found it.
According to IBM EMEA Announcement Letter ZP02-0172
(http://www.ibmlink.ibm.com/emealets&parms=H_ERIFZP020172), Section
"Ordering IBM Tivoli Products"
"One or more charge units are associated with each product. These charge
units are:
-       Processors managed by the product
-       Clients managed by the product
-       Distributed servers managed by the product
-       zSeries processors managed by the product
-       Processors in which the managing server is installed"
Processors are based upon TSM server and TSM *nodes* processors if they
are servers in customer application environment. If it is a workstation
(appl. client) it requires "client" license and no "processors".
So if we have an (imaginary) ISM installation consisting of dual-processor
TSM server, cluster of two four-processor Oracle servers, uniprocessor
file server, uniprocessor MDC and 20 dual-processor Xeon/2GHz CAD
stations, we would need 12 "processor" and 20 "client" charge units for
IBM TSM (5698-ISM) or IBM TSM EE (5698-ISE) and (optional) eight
processors for IBM TSM for Databases (5698-APD).
Right now I cannot calculate all possible configurations nor predict any
averages or stats but for some configurations price would change slightly
while for some others will drop significantly. OTOH I can make (not so)
artificial configuration which would have an increased price.
This raises the issue how to migrate Tivoli Management Points from
Value-Based Pricing to Processors and Clients in Enhanced VBP. Also
another question to ask is - does a customer need to buy additional
licenses to keep its license compliance. This is another story and I have
to dig more.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant