This is touted as the minimum requirement and it is.

To allow tapes volumes to perform space reclamation etc.
you need a minimum of 2 drives for simultaneous tape mounts.

Perhaps you can do fancy things with DASD devices, but this is not
the aim with a tape library really when you want to physically move
data to safe locations. DASD is entirely not suited for that purpose in
the main.

>From my experience, I'd recommend 4 drives, and 5 if you can get it
as a spare in case one fails. This is for a large/active site. This allows
you to get reclamations out of the way quickly etc. If you have a small
site perhaps 2 will get you by and you can add more drives are required.

We used to run a 3575 as our primary library with 2 drives and it used
to spend the entire day performing reclamations and would get behind
in this task which was bad as it wouldn't be sending tapes offsite or recall
any and we'd run out of available scratch. This was a management decision
not to add any more 3570 drives..... It's now superceded by our 3584 LTO
and performs minimal backup tasks.

When you need reclamations to occur but you also have to restore files,
what do you do with no drives available?

Just some ideas.

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1)      This document is confidential and may contain legally privileged
        information. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
                                         disclose or use the information contained in
it. If you have
        received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by
        return email and delete the document.

2)      All e-mails sent to and sent from Bunnings Building Supplies are
        scanned for content. Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
        subject matter will be reported to the e-mail administrator of
        all parties concerned.