Just curious: what exactly is the difference anyway? Ok, I'm probably
missing something real obvious, but ...

If you're taking a monthly archive, then why would you need a yearly
one? It's still the "same" archive right, just labelled differently?
I'm not understanding the difference.

Also, while on this topic, can someone explain the pros & cons of the
following three?

a) archive (which I understand to basically be a "backup" but simply
with longer data retention values

b) backup set

c) image backup

Thanks.