From: Joe Howell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 9:37 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Fun with disaster recovery

I'm at a DR exercise and have discovered that many of the files that we
needed recovered were in an unavailable primary storage pool.  What seems to
have happened was that a few weeks prior to the exercise we reorganized into
three storage pools; one with a vaulted copy storage pool for servers that
needed to be recovered, and two that did not have a vaulted copy storage
pool for servers we didn't need to recover offsite.  The default management
class is in one of the latter pools.  For whatever reason it appears that
many critical files are in the default management class.  What I did was to
create three sets of client options, each with an INCLEXCL option to assign
all files to the appropriate management class.  The statements all look like
"include ?:\...\* mgmt_class_name" and the sequence number assigned to the
option statement is the highest in the list.  I thought that this would 1)
be the first include statement evaluated by the client (it's on the TSM
server) and 2)
 be
 globally applied to all files on the client.

Is the include statement correct?  Is it possible that I've gotten burned
because (maybe) all the files haven't rebound?

Joe Howell
Shelter Insurance Companies
Columbia, MO