Hi Gretchen,

I am not aware of any problems with expiration in this regard, and for
that matter, it is controlled by the client.

The key things to check are:

- Are you doing full incrementals of the file spaces, as opposed to
incremental by date or incremental of specific files/directories?

- Did you verify correctness of the include/exclude list? What does your
"dsmc query inclexcl" output show?

It should be easy enough to do a simple test:

1) From an OS prompt, cd to the root of C: and issue the following:

   md myshare\testdir

2) Populate myshare\testdir with two or three files.

3) Create a share for myshare, then net use to it (note that my machine
name is storman, substitute your machine name instead):

   net share myshare=c:\myshare
   net use t: \\storman\myshare

4) From a TSM admin, create a node named TEST

5) Create a simple dsm.opt file to back up T:, like this:

   commmethod tcpip
   tcpserveraddress your.tsm.server.address
   nodename test
   domain t:

6) Do an incremental backup of T: and watch your files get backed up:

   dsmc i t:

7) From the admin, define a client option set named TEST and associate
with node TEST:

   def clo test
   def cliento test inclexcl "exclude.dir t:\testdir"
   upd n test clo=test

8) Repeat step 6. This time files should be expired.

What do you see?

When you are done testing, you can remove the share:

   net use t: /delete
   net share myshare /delete
   rd /s /q c:\myshare

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Tucson/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The command line is your friend.

"Gretchen L. Thiele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
02/12/2004 10:00
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc

Subject
Re: Client/Server Expiration Problem (long post)

Hi Andy,

That's what I'm doing, but I'm not seeing the results that you are.
I do notice that there is a difference in the servers we are both
using, yours is v5.2.0.0 (Windows) and mine is v5.2.2.1 (AIX).

What your output shows is exactly what I want to happen... either
a problem with the platform or the version?

Andrew Raibeck wrote:

> OK, I'm probably missing something in what you are saying, but I still
> don't understand. Excluded files are expired during regular (full)
> incremental backup processing. Nothing has changed in that regard. Using
> EXPIRE has the same effect as EXCLUDE: The files are expired on the TSM
> server and managed per criteria as deleted files (i.e. subject to
> VERDELETED, RETEXTRA, and RETONLY).
>
> I've attached sample data for directory c:\amrtest. The steps I
performed
> are as follows:
>
> a) Ran QUERY BACKUP to show the existing active and inactive versions.
>
> b) Defined a client option set that contains an EXCLUDE.DIR statement
for
> c:\amrtest (not shown here).
>
> c) Ran INCREMENTAL. Note the expiring files.
>
> d) Repeat (a) above. This time note that there are fewer versions
(VERE=5,
> VERD=2). All versions are inactive and will expire per management class
> criteria.
>
> Is there anything here that does not accomplish what you wish? By the
way,
> the EXPIRE command would do the same thing: leave the 2 versions due to
> VERDELETED, which will expire based on RETEXTRA and RETONLY value.

Gretchen Thiele
Princeton University