We use to do full Monthly archives of all our important data on our servers but our
TSM database was growing too rapidly, especially when we have to retain our backups
for 7 years. What we ended up doing is registering a whole new alternate set of nodes
specifically for Monthly backups and now just run incrementals. Our database doesn't
grow as rapidly anymore and we don't chew through as many tapes.

I'm thinking of now creating a second TSM instance and have that running exclusively
for our monthly backups to take the load off our day to day operations.

Gordon Woodward
Wintel Server Support

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      Sent by:                 To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]        cc:
                      EDU                      Subject:  Thoughts on Monthly Archives

                      16/07/2004 07:00
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      ADSM-L

We are implementing the following:

Monthly FULL backups, saved for 4 years for document retention purposes.

Backupsets are not viable, as a restore would be a pain. So it looks like
we're going to do this with archives. My idea is to create another storage
pool with it's own media, another domain with it's own management class (we
really need only one: save 1 version of this file for 4 years), and remove
that media once the archive runs.

Anyone care to comment on if this is the best, easiest, way to do this? Or
comment on what to expect with things like tape usage and database size?
We're currently at 57% of a 12gig database.

Thanks in advance!!!

Mike Bantz
Systems Administrator

--

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender