Thanks, Del - this is exactly what we needed to know!
-steve

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Del Hoobler
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 5:23 PM
To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for Exchange restores & temp space

Steve,

For a standard restore, the Exchange database files (.EDB and .STM) are
replaced during a restore. They ARE NOT written to a temporary location.

However... if you are restoring into the Recovery Storage Group, they
are created anew... in a different location. You can point the location
of the Recovery Storage Group files to any location you would like. That
is done when you create the Recovery Storage Group through the Exchange
System Manager.

The Exchange log files ARE written to a temporary location. That can be
specified by setting the TEMPLOGRESTOREPath in Data Protection for
Exchange.
TEMPLOGRESTOREPath defaults to the TEMP environment variable if you
don't set it within Data Protection for Exchange.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 09/15/2005
04:49:20 PM:

> TSM server 5.2.4.3
> TSM TDP 5.2.1.0
> Our Exchange admins are running out of room on some of their Exchange
> servers and have a question about temp space used during a restore:
>
> Question: It is my understanding that when you restore a database in
> Exchange 2003 it creates a new temporary database during the restore.
> Is it possible to have the temporary database created on a different
> disk partition?

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail
disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm