How may disks are in the vg for the db?
How many disk are in the vg for the mirror of the db?
How big are the disk drives?

I assume that when you watch topas you see very high
wait-for-I/O percent and little actual cpu being used.

Does a iostat show even activity on the disks for db and log?

             "Gill, Geoffrey
             L."
             <GEOFFREY.L.GILL@                                          To
             SAIC.COM>                 ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            cc
             Dist Stor
             Manager"                                              Subject
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Re: poor performance
             .EDU>

             08/21/2006 11:43
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

>4 full D40s, JBOD, for the database?  Ouchie. There's my leading

>candidate for performance problems.

>I suggest one VG with a bunch of non-raided disks in it, raw LVs one

>or two to a spindle, with mirrors on separate spindles, for DB and

>log.

To be more clear. The 4 D40's are a mixture of database, logs and disk
pools. One VG for database, one for mirrored database and one for data
storage pools.  Four full D40's just for a database would be quite
unnecessary. No raid anywhere, all raw disk consisting of one LV per disk
no
matter if it is database, log or disk pool related.  Mirrors are absolutely
on separate spindles which are also on separate D40's.

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.