Eric,

You definitely do not want to back up just the files
(unless you stop the Exchange Server for the backup).

You should use a special client that uses the Exchange APIs
for online backups. IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Mail -
Data Protection for Exchange has the function that you want.

It supports, FULL, COPY, INCREMENTAL, and DIFFERENTIAL backups,
as well as offers automated individual mailbox restore (IMR)
capabilities.

Many customers use a FULL + INCREMENTAL backup scheme.
INCREMENTAL only backs up the transaction logs
(i.e. only the changes to the database.)

Take a look here for more details:

        http://www-01.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/storage-mgr-mail/

Thanks,

Del