Hey, Nick, missed your name the first time around!

Being in higher-ed/research we went the cheap route and actually just
use direct-attach 15K SAS drives on Dell servers, divvied up into
multiple RAID-10 sets. Even a 1TB database only takes us ~1 hour to
backup or restore, which is well within our SLA.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skyl...@u.washington.edu)
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354