Hello,

In our company we have a TSM 6.2 Server with a TS3310+Extension (LTO-4) Library
for primary pools and an Overland Library for copy pools (LTO-2). Now the
Overland is nearing retirement and we need a replacement.
We have 46 Nodes with a total of ~16TB in need of a copy pool (with more nodes
in tsm, but they are not that important). Of that 16TB, 3-4 TB are MSSQL and
Oracle Databases, the rest is Windows and Linux Operating Systems.
The way I see it, there are two options.
1: We get another TS3310 base model with LTO-5 drives (or any other Tape
Library). We would get about 38TB in 24 Tapes, and we probably have to turn off
collococation. If necessary we could get an Expansion for the Library.
2: We get a Virtual Tape Library, say a TS7620 with 24TB Diskspace (12x2TB
Disks), which would cost as much as the TS3310 (more or less). I could make a
lot of small volumes (say 50-100GB) which would probably increase restore speed
in comparison to a real Tape Library. On the other side, the VTL has less raw
space. But with data-deduplication we probably could get much more out of it.
And that's my problem:
I did some numbers after reading some guides on the web, and results vary from
data-reduction of 10-50%, but we really have absolutely no experience with
data-deduplication. Can anybody please give me some advice on what would be the
best option? What are your experiances with VTL and data-deduplication? Would
even a smaller VTL be sufficient?
Any help would be really appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Daniel

________________________________
INFONOVA GmbH
Sitz: Unterpremst?tten bei Graz
Firmenbuchgericht: Landesgericht f?r ZRS Graz
Firmenbuchnummer: FN 44354b

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. If
you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure,
copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended
recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and
delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.