Hi all -

I've been trying for a few days now to get our SDK Add-On upgraded to work
as a 5.0.1 target with the latest AOSP drops, and I'm mostly there but
there are two sticking issues I cannot resolve:

*1. Using manifest.ini vs. source.properties*
Previously, our add-on only had a manifest.ini file. Upon installing the
built add-on into my machine's SDK directory, it showed up as broken in the
manager until I added a source.properties file with duplicate information.
I figured this meant manifest.ini was fully obsolete now; however, items
like display names were still being read from manifest.ini. Also, if I
remove manifest.ini the add-on won't show up in the manager at all! Are
both files really necessary still? If so, can someone tell me which data
should be present in each so I don't have so much duplication? Here are the
files I currently have in place, with the attributes used in each:

*sdk/add-ons/alpha_add_on/manifest.ini:*
name=Alpha Add-On
name-id=alpha
vendor=MyVendor
vendor-id=myvendor
description=…
api=21
revision=1
libraries=…

*sdk/add-ons/alpha_add_on/source.properties:*
AddOn.NameDisplay=Alpha Add-On
AddOn.NameId=alpha
AddOn.VendorDisplay=MyVendor
AddOn.VendorId=myvendor
Pkg.Desc=…
AndroidVersion.ApiLevel=21
Pkg.Revision=1

*2. Now that the Lollipop build system break the system image out from the
add-on proper as a separate package, I'm trying to work out how to link the
two back together when they are installed in the SDK Manager so I can
create an AVD?*
Overall, I like this concept as we no longer have to distribute the image
packed insides the images/ directory of the add-on, but I can't create an
AVD from my Add-On target since the system image isn't being located.
Hunting through the AVD Manager source, it seems the tag/vendor of the
source.properties for the image has to match the values set in the add-on's
source.properties, but I'm still not seeing it. Here is the
source.properties in our system image package:

*sdk/system-images/alpha/armeabi-v7a/source.properties:*
AddOn.VendorDisplay=MyVendor
AddOn.VendorId=myvendor
AndroidVersion.ApiLevel=21
Pkg.Desc=…
Pkg.Revision=1
SystemImage.Abi=armeabi-v7a
SystemImage.TagDisplay=Alpha
SystemImage.TagId=alpha

As a footnote, for now I'm installing these by manually unzipping them in
the SDK directory to test. I'm hopefuly there isn't some new metadata in
the repository XML format that is somehow required to make the linking work
correctly.

Thanks in advance!
--
Dave Smith, PE