In this instance I had edited both java and layout files. I should also
mention that for this project we define custom source sets - perhaps this
is contributing to the issue?

 sourceSets {
        main.java.srcDirs = ['src-ui/main/java', 'src/main/java']
        main.res.srcDirs = ['src-ui/main/res', 'src/main/res']
        main.assets.srcDirs = ['src-ui/main/assets', 'src/main/assets']
}

The files I edited were located in src-ui/main/java and
src-ui/main/res/layout.