By appending the artifact packaging, you are telling Gradle's resolver to
skip looking at the pom.xml that defines the metadata for the artifact.
This metadata includes the default packaging (in this case, aar) and more
importantly it also includes information on dependencies which are resolved
transitively by default.

In your case, when you incorrectly explicitly include the packaging in the
dependency (the "@aar" part), you are not getting AppCompat's dependency on
the support-v4 library.

You almost never want to specify explicit packaging.