Apologies in advance if I am posting to the wrong forum.

I am having issues starting Android Studio. I usually get the error

'tools.jar' seems to be not in Android Studio classpath.
Please ensure JAVA_HOME points to JDK rather than JRE.

I have 4 JDKs on my machine (IBM and Oracle, both Java 7 and Java 8 JDKs),
I have tried setting my JAVA_HOME to them all and have confirmed all 4 have
the tools.jar in the lib directory.

I then tried setting my JAVA_HOME directory to point to a non existent
directory and I get the same problem. Despite the error message the
JAVA_HOME environment variable does not appear to be being used.

I also tried to set STUDIO_JDK to point to my JAVA_HOME variable. This does
at least appear to be read but I either get the same "tools.jar missing"
message above or I get a "The environment variable STUDIO_JDK (with the
value of E:\JDKs\JDKName) does not point to a valid JVM installation"
(depending on which JDK I point to). Are there some JVM's that are not
compatible with Android Studio?

I've also set PATH to start with %JAVA_HOME%\bin.

The JDKs themselves seem fine and work inside a standard eclipse
environment.

Installing the ADT plugin into eclipse works fine as well.

Any suggestions or tips?