The easiest is to define a placeholder called "mainApplicationId" and do
not set it when building the library. The placeholder will remain unchanged
since there is no value provided. Once you build the application, set the
placeholder to a the applicationId and it will be replaced in the resulting
merged AndroidManifest.xml

We might look into not providing an automatic "applicationId" binding when
building library in the future which will allow you to just use
${applicationId} everywhere but it's not implemented yet.

Jerome