We have external jar and aar libraries added to our project using this
technique:
1. In AS do New Module and select Import .JAR or .AAR Package
   This creates project folder with a simple build.gradle, proj_name.iml
and the jar or aar file
2. In dependent module's module dependencies setting, add Module dependency
   i.e. compile project(':proj_name')

This works fine thru plugin 1.0.1, but if I change to 1.1.0 or later, then
I get 'cannot resolve symbol' errors in the editor.  The imports are
resolved and the project builds and runs, but, since the AS ide is
confused, all symbols from the library show red with the cannot resolve
error, and both code completion and the ability to follow a symbol
(cmd-click) are broken.

In the case where the lib is a jar, I find I can resolve this by adding to
the dependent libr's gradle file:
dependencies {
    compile fileTree(dir: '../proj_name_dir', include: ['*.jar'])
}

Which surely seems a hack, and it doesn't work for aar files.

In the release notes for 1.1.0 comments under "Fixes and changes to the
dependency management", there are comments about how dependencies have been
made correct.  Are there some notes somewhere on what correct looks like
and how I should be doing dependencies on these external libs?

thanks,
greg