Even on Linux, the folder should now be ~/.AndroidStudio1.2

Android Studio inherits this behavior from IntelliJ (~/.IdeaIC13,
~/.IdeaIC14, etc). The confusion probably comes about because Android
Studio 1.0 to 1.2 transition is actually a major version transition for
IntelliJ (13 -> 14). They seem to change this folder across major versions.

As far as compatibility issues, we noticed that sometimes they change the
format of the saved indexes/caches, which led to odd behaviors. So we
change it to be conservative.

Finally, as far as changing it, you could try setting idea.paths.selector
in the user config folder as described here:
http://tools.android.com/tech-docs/configuration. I'm not entirely sure if
it'll work though..