I think this is https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=75462,
this should be implemented as a refactor operation so that it shows you any
places where the string is used before performing the delete, and also
allows you to undo the operation.

I'm not sure if it needs to be a separate plugin, you could probably
directly contribute a fix to the android plugin, or wait until 2.3 when we
hope to fix it.