-----------
I already sent this post to the DOTNET-CLR list, but didn't get a reply.
Maybe someone on this list can provide me some information.
-----------

I would like to write a server application which can handle http AND
socket connections, depending on the J2ME MIDP client capabilities.

If a MIDP device supports sockets I would like to use them because of  less
overhead. But since MIDP devices only have to support HTTP I have to support
both, sockets and http.

How can I accomplish this in .NET?

I'm new to .NET and have found the following classes which seem to be
usefull for the described task:
-System.Net.WebRequest
-System.Net.WebResponse
-System.Net.HttpWebRequest
-System.Net.HttpWebResponse
#how can I recieve these objects from a client?
-System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener
-System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient
-System.Net.Sockets.NetWorkStream

Or do I have to use the classes located in System.Web (seem only be
available with ASP.Net)?
-System.Web.HttpRequest
-System.Web.HttpResponse

Is a InputStream - or any other Stream class - in Java comparable to a
NetworkStream class in .net?

To summarize:
Is there a way to handle Http requests like socket connections on the
server side? How can I filter Http headers if I use sockets on the server
side and http on the client side?

General understanding:
IMHO a Stream Socket (like NetworkStream) is on the same OSI layer like TCP
and UDP?!?
Regarding the former, does it make sense (is it possible at all) to
propagate a diagnosted http connection to a upper layer (http) which has
spezial functions to work with these?

I know there are many questions but please respond to them. Any
comments, help, hints are appreciated.

Regards
Claus Klammer

You can read messages from the Advanced DOTNET archive, unsubscribe from Advanced
DOTNET, or
subscribe to other DevelopMentor lists at http://discuss.develop.com.